Friday, August 1, 2008

Intentions

I had many intentions for this week. I intended to work really, really hard. I intended to finish up most of my WIPs. I intended to explain to you in layman's terms why I would not be knitting next week and thus not writing much either. Instead, I finished up only 2 WIPs. I came very close to getting through Arietta's sleeve 2 but, to my utter chagrin, I did not finish. Nor did I keep up my with my writing. So much for intentions. But you know what they say...

And then this morning the Twist Collective was launched and I was blown away. And when I went out to photograph look what I found!

So, despite the fact that due to the 9 days I can not knit, I have more than enough fodder to fuel my imagination and am sure I will have knitting fantasies to share. Of course, if something really interesting were to happen I'd share that as well. But I do not promise that it will be daily. At least not until August 11.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the 9 days, they mark a period of increased mourning over the destruction of both the first and the second Beit Hamkidash (the Holy Temple) in Jerusalem over 2,000 years ago as well as many other tragic events in Jewish history, such as the expulsion from Spain in 1492. The mourning period actually started with a fast a couple of weeks ago on the 17 of Tammuz (this year it fell on July 20) where we began a decrease in joyous events. The second milestone is 1 Av (tomorrow) culminating in day of fasting and full mourning on the 9th. This time is not just remembered but, as much as possible, relived through the privations I mentioned and more. If you are interested in reading about the Three Weeks, the Nine Days and 9 Av, you can follow the link above or this one. The point is, I won't be knitting again until a week from Monday. And yes, this will definitely increase my level of mourning.

So, here I am. Only two hours before Shabbos and the needles have been put away for the next week and a half. I miss them already! But let us not dwell on that. For now I have some Arietta progress to show off!

Here is sleeve 2. I got to 17 increases before I had to put it away. There are 20 increases total before I do a bit of binding off and start shaping the sleeve cap. Shouldn't take too long at all when I get back to it.

And then there will only be the bands and the seaming.

I'm so close!

I also finished Little Sky which will serve as a baby present for young Azriel Yaakov. They were fun to make and I did learn a lot. Not the least of which: Take good notes! I had written down that these were worked on 3.5mm needles. I couldn't find my options tips in 3.5mm so I used the Harmonies. The drag dragged out the process by 200%! And when I was done. Well of course sock 2 was way, way too big. So I had to frog and cast on again. This time with 3.0 fixed Nickel Plated circs, and flew through it in a couple of hours.


What I really like about this sockatecture is that there are no stitches to be picked up. The increases work through the center panel so once you've turned the heel, you just decrease away and then straight stitching to the toe. And after Embossed Leaves, I quite enjoy the Star Toe finish.

And boy, does taking these pictures outside make a difference. I think this is the first time I realized I really do like the Bright Charcoal colorway!

It's always nice to show off baby knits with stuffed animals (no Pamela, they aren't part of the gift!)

This photo shoot reminded me of one I did when I was about 9 years old. It was the only time in my childhood that it snowed in San Francisco. And if we hadn't have been living in Twin Peaks we might have missed it altogether. As soon as we figured out what was going on, I scooped up my dolls and ran out to the patio where I loving set them up on the lightest of snow dustings one could imagine and snapped away. It was quite thrilling!

Little Sky (Sky architecture) by Cat Bordhi
New Pathways for Sock Knitters
Needles: US 2½ / 3.0 mm KP Nickel Plated fixed
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug
Colorway: Bright Charcoal
Sock 1 Cast on July 15 2008, Finished July 15, 2008
Sock 2 Cast on July 31 2008, Finished July 31, 2008

No comments: