Thursday, May 8, 2008

Shag

by Lynne Barr, Knitting New Scarves

Recommended:
Yarn: Alchemy Yarns Wabi Sabi
66% silk, 34% wool, 86 yds, 50g
2 hanks
Needles 2 DPNs, 5.5mm
Gauge 16 sts = 4" in Garter Stitch

Actual
Yarn: Yes Please by Lanas Stop
46% wool, 34% polyamide, 20% mohair
1 ball
Colorway: 210
Needles: 2 DPNs 4mm
Gauge 24 sts = 4"

I love this yarn. Really love it. And I am happy with the results.

But.

When I make this again, and yes I do believe I will, I will use either the recommended yarn or something similar. Designers usually have a good reason for using the yarns they do. Because my yarn choice was thinner and needed smaller needles, the scarf needed more stitches and more rows to be completed. Which means the project took longer to knit. And more importantly my flaps are a bit floppy.

photo from book

As you can see from the sample scarf above, the flaps are much shorter and stand at attention. And that can only come from fewer rows.

You live. You learn. You go on to your next project, a little wiser.

No comments: