Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dude! Where'd She Go?

My time with Mommy was short and endless, all at the same time. When I mentioned to a friend that I was sad that Mommy had left, my friend was a bit surprised. I had seemed to be stressed whilst Mommy was here. And that is our relationship in a nutshell. We drive each other a bit nuts when we're together but miss each other terribly when we are apart. Perhaps this is due to strong personalities and me growing up with no testosterone in the house. Or perhaps that we both have strong personalities and have spent the last 10 years separated by 10,000 miles (now that gap is down to 3,000. Closer, but not close at all.) Did I mention that we both have strong personalities? Or that our experiences with the Doom Mobile added to the stress? Anyway, when we aren't at each other's throats we can get up to some pretty wacky/silly stuff. Take, for instance, our last day together. As Mommy was packing away her things, she offered to leave me this not-so-cheap spray in hair treatment for younger looking hair. No it doesn't take away the gray (I only have a bit at the temple,) it is supposed to "transform dull, coarse, brittle, aged hair into youthful, healthy looking, silky smooth, beautiful hair"


So Mommy agreed to a little experiment.

BeforeSpritzing it onAfter

Do you see a difference? Maybe not, but we were doubled over in laughter as we staged the shots.

Anyway, with Mommy gone the knitting ban has been lifted. Actually, I finished Marigold before she left, and she quite liked them.

Click pictures to enlarge
Pattern: Marigold by Pamela Wynne from Flint Knits
Yarn: Hand Maiden Casbah (100g, 325 yds) from Knitty Noddy (see link on side bar)
Colorway: Dandelion
Fiber Content: 80% Merino, 10% Cashmere, 10% Nylon
Needles: 2.5 mm KnitPicks Nickel Plated 47" Circulars
Cast on with Judy's magic cast on

I've finished Sock One of my Embossed Leaves


Click pictures to enlarge
Embossed Leaves by Mona Schmidt
Favorite Socks (25 Timeless Designs) from Interweave Knits
Yarn: Sundara Sock
Colorway: Sky
Fiber Content: 100% Superwash Merino
Needles: 2.75 mm KP fixed circs (Magic Loop)
Gauge: 15 sts = 2" in stockinette

I've worked most of the leg on Sock One of Marie Antoinette. Someone said that if there could be such a thing as a sexy sock, this would be it. I must agree!

Click pictures to enlarge
pattern: Marie Antoinette by Anne Hanson (Knitspot)
yarn: Fleece Artist Sea Wool
colorway: Paris
fiber content: 70% merino, 30% seacell
needles: 2.5mm KP fixed circs

And I am making good progress on my Crusoe inspired socks. I say inspired because I am knitting these toe-up and much bigger. I don't know who could slip on the originals with a CO of 44 sts and 2.5mm needles for a size 9-10 foot. I think I'll use the heel and flap from my Oriel socks. I started the second sock because I needed something to travel with and hadn't decided what to do with the heel. And don't be fooled by those DPN's, there just holding the stitches in place!

Based on the stitch pattern in Crusoe socks by Marilyn A Roberts in
Knitty Spring 03
Yarn: ShiBui Knit Sock
Colorway: Spectrum
Fiber: 100% Superwash Merino
Needles: 2.5 mm KP fixed circs (Magic Loop)
Gauge: 15 sts = 2" in stockinette

Was it worth the wait? Tomorrow I'll back with a little Stash Flashing and then, I'm warning you now, I won't be back until next Wednesday. Shavuos is Monday and Tuesday so I'll be out of commission.

No comments: