Monday, February 11, 2008

Let the Sunshine In

California Day 4
Marin County

Shabbos was a laid back affair. All the food came out well, thank goodness. The challah seems to have been the biggest hit. Grandma couldn't stop raving, or eating it. In fact it was so good, I will share the recipe with you:

8 c flour
1 c sugar
1 T salt
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 c oil
1 3/4 c water

2 packages dry yeast
additional 1/2 c warm water and 1 t sugar to activate yeast

mix the dry ingredients
mix in the wet ingredients
add activated yeast
mix until all flour has mixed in then knead 5 minutes
place in a lightly oiled bowl, making sure oil is on all sides of the dough.
cover and rise 2 hrs.

after the dough has risen, punch down and braid 4 challahs. Brush with an egg wash and let rise 1/2 hr more.

bake 350 35-40 min

Sorry no pics, but you'll just have to trust me!

Motzei Shabbos (Saturday night) I finished my Thrummed Mittens, a few rows of my Firestarters and went soundly to sleep.

Day 5
Mill Valley / San Francisco

Sunday morning was one of the highlights of my trip. I made my way to Starbucks and met up with the fabulous Uknitty knitters. I got to meet with some old knitting friends and make some new ones. My sock sensei was there and I proudly showed off my socks as well as some other FOs and WIPs. AND I got back to work on Jeanie. Finally!!!

After that it was off to the City (San Francisco, that is) to visit my [local] grandmother. So off we went, my mother, grandmother and I. The weather was glorious and so was the view. Grandma I's flat faces the bay and on a clear day you can see it all: the bridge, the bay, Coit Tower. In fact in fact it was so clear we could even see the people waving from Alcatraz. At least that's what we told Grandma E. Anyway, my two grandmothers had a lovely time catching up and discussing my virtues and, of course, my shortcomings. Rounding out the party were my father and his wife. Yes, a good time was had by all. And I had Jeanie to keep me calm.

Day 6
Silicon Valley

Today was spent down at my sister's. And with the kids. And I turned the heel on my Firestarters. Ya, good day. And I am exhausted...

No comments: