Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Argosy's Last Dance

Whether it's baseball, football, basketball or hockey, there comes a time when a sporting legend's number is retired forever. So too in the knitter's repertoire. Argosy has been good to me. Really good. So good, in fact, that I made it SIX times. The first five flew by. It was only when I decided to make one for myself that my energies flagged. And so now, that Argosy VI is off the needles, I retire this pattern from my knitting line-up.

The Stats:

  • Five out of six of my Argosy scarves were made from one of my favorite yarns, Lanas Stop's Yes, Please! Three from colorway 208; Two from colorway 207(I think.)
  • Four out of six were made according to the pattern. Eventually, I found this to be too narrow for my taste.
  • Two were modified to be wider.
  • One was modified to be 9 blocks wide when knit, showing 5 blocks at the ends. I found this to be too wide.
  • And the final Argosy was knit to be 7 blocks wide, showing 4 blocks at the ends. And since I am the Goldilocks of this story, this one was "just right."

The Specs:
  • Pattern: Argosy by Vyvyan Neel at knitty.com
  • Yarn: Lanas Stop Yes, Please!
  • Colorway: 208
  • Needles: Knit Picks Harmony Options: 4mm
  • Gauge: 24 sts and 32 rows = 4" in stockinette
  • Dimensions: 8" x 60"

Just because this is off the needles doesn't mean the work is done.

First there was the soak


And then the blocking fun begins




Final pictures to be taken after I get all those pins out!

No comments: