Monday, August 3, 2009

Hats Off

Timing, they say, is everything. As I began thinking over what I wanted write about, now that I'm back at it, I started creating mini lists in my head. Projects made with the same yarns, patterns by the same designer, projects with similar themes...

I decided this first post would be about hats. And as I started loading in the pictures I noted that all the hats I had recently made, was in the middle of making or planned to make (with one single exception) were all designed by either Jared Flood or Ysolda Teague. And as I was preparing to grab the URL for planned hats, I went over to b r o o k l y n t w e e d and read this amazing new post. So before I even get to what I've been doing you MUST pop over and read about Jared's first book!

So now, hats. What I've done, what I'm doing, what I plan to do. You know I knit up Habitat back in June. My cousin and I have still to meet up but with the outrageous heat of summer I know he's not missing his present too much. Of course this means I haven't had a proper photo shoot of it yet. The shots I took before really did nothing for me (nor anyone else apparently) so I took a little self portrait in the bathroom earlier. Not the most flattering of shots, but better than what I had going.
Habitat by Jared Flood


Why bring this up again? At the time, you may remember, I had to run out and buy a second ball of Classic Elite's Portland Tweed to get this hat finished up. It seemed a little ridiculous to have 3/4 of a ball left over. What would I do with that. So I bought another ball of course. But with a purpose. My dad's birthday is coming up and I will be seeing him when I go home NEXT WEEK! He bought a cabin a while ago up near the Tahoe area and I thought a hat might come in very handy next winter. Whilst rummaging through Ravelry looking for pattern ideas I realized the best choice was probably something I'd already made. By Jared Flood, of course. The famous Koolhaas comes to life once more. Now I only cast on Saturday night. And though, when properly motivated, to get a hat done I can finish it up in a day, since I don't fly out until next Thursday, and as much as love the look, it is a bit difficulty to muster the same excitement on any project the second time round. So for now, Koolhaas is relegated to car and lunch break knitting. If it's not done by the end of the weekend, I'll step it up. I have other plans for plane knitting.

Koolhaas by Jared Flood


In addition to these two hats, I plan on making Relm, Porom and that amazing slouchy purple hat in the new book. And in non hat news, I'm dreaming about starting a Girasole, blanket version. But not until it cools off considerably!

Tomorrow we'll look at what's been going on with the girlier hats by Ysolda Teague.

No comments: