Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Great Expectations

I really thought that the next time I showed you Twist & Shout (Ravelry link) it would be my finished jacket. I expected to be wearing this by Shabbos. Perhaps to show it off when I meet up with my aunt and uncle who are in from London. Alas, no.

Two nights ago I was so excited. I was on collar row 31 (of 39). The rows were so very long, the heavy, otherwise completed jacket weighed down my lap. It had taken me two evenings to get to that point, knitting 15 rows each time before putting the project aside for a smaller, lighter project. And then, whilst showing off to NNR the beauty of the Malabrigo, the cables and the amazing button I'd found, I realized I'd cast on way too many stitches. From edge to edge. No wonder it was taking so long.

So I ripped. All the way back to the beginning and cast on again. This time mindful not to pick up too many stitches. And I knit and completed 5 rows. Last night after work I picked up my jacket and prepared to devote the evening just to the completion of the collar. After all, there were about 25% less stitches that the first time around. And so I knit. And knit. And when I got to 10 rows and noticed I'd picked up the stitches from the wrong side and the seam at the collars edge was facing the public, not private, side. And so I ripped again.

And I picked up stitches for the third time and knit the first row. And I saw this time I had picked up too few stitches. Sighhhhhhhhhh.

At least now I've learned my lesson. I am not letting my expectations for a finished jacket overshadow my good sense to get it right. I've placed a marker at the point of where I should start picking up stitches and I will start again. Tomorrow night. But for now, here is Twist & Shout, in progress...

And despite the fact that it was gray and rainy, I got a fabulous shot this morning. (This shot was taken after the first ripping, with the 5 rows after the second cast on.) This is the truest color picture I have managed to capture. I do so hope this will look good after all the work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful creation. Shake it up BABY!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! I am sending a hug to you to use before you sit down to work on it again. :) samm

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful - sorry that you've had a hard time finishing it up - but just think how happy you will be to get it done. I really like it - gorgeous color, great pattern.

Anonymous said...

You're an inspiration! I am still very new and have screwed up so much! But I will be patient.....Thank you.

Lupie said...

So beautiful can't wait to see it finished.